Uzbekistan's Odil Ahmedov Eyes Asian Cup Glory

Posted by admin on Monday 24 January 2011


Uzbekistan midfielder Odil Ahmedov is determined to go all the way at the 2011 Asian Cup.
Uzbekistan have been the surprise package at the 2011 Asian Cup and versatile midfielder Odil Ahmedov has made it clear that the White Wolves are determined to go all the way and lift the trophy.

"I normally play in midfield and not in defence. Personally I’d prefer an attacking role in midfield, but we’ve had one or two problems at the back and I’ve had to help out," Ahmedov said, according fifa.com. "That hasn’t stopped me from scoring though. I love getting forward and hitting the back of the net.

"We’re thrilled to be through to the semi-finals and I hope we can pay back the fans supporting us here in Qatar. To be among the top four sides in Asia is a major achievement for us, and it’s sure to give football a big boost back home.

"We want to keep going and beat Australia to reach the final. Our goal is to win the Asian Cup and we’ll be giving our very best to make that happen.

"My aim before I came here was to put on a good show and attract some offers from European clubs. I’d love to play there because it’s a totally different game. Everyone wants to play in Europe."

Uzbekistan are set to lock horns with Australia on January 25.