Bayern Munich Sporting Director Christian Nerlinger Responds To Louis Van Gaal Criticism

Posted by admin on Monday 24 January 2011


Christian Nerlinger has shot back at Louis van Gaal after the Bayern coach made harsh comments in the media.
There is never a dull day at the Saebener Strasse. Even after Bayern Munich earned a 5-1 win against Kaiserslautern, internal conflict has struck the club. Recently, coach Louis van Gaal criticised Christian Nerlinger for revealing that Franck Ribery may not recover his fitness in time to face Werder Bremen next week. But the sporting director has now replied to Van Gaal.

"It is not the role of a coach to comment publicly on my statements, on what I say. In my role as sporting director it is my right and my duty to make such things public," he told Bild. "I find it laughable that [Van Gaal] would get himself worked up over the fact that I said, after a conversation with the doctors, that Ribery may not be fit in time for the Bremen game.

"I am of the opinion that one should settle things internally whenever there is a dispute. Van Gaal seemingly thinks otherwise on these matters. He must realise that in this club there are other people who are also responsible for sporting matters."

Ribery suffered a knee injury last week, and was initially ruled out until the Bremen match, which is scheduled for Saturday. However, in recent days there has been a cloud of doubt cast over the exact date of his return.