I Will Probably Retire From International Football After Euro 2012 - Germany's Arne Friedrich

Posted by admin on Thursday 27 January 2011


Wolfsburg defender Arne Friedrich will retire from international football after Euro 2012.
Experienced Wolfsburg defender Arne Friedrich has revealed that he will probably retire from international football after Euro 2012.

"I have to be realistic about my future. Euro 2012 will probably be my last tournament before I retire from international football," 31-year-old Friedrich was quoted as saying by Bild.

"We have a lot of promising youngsters coming through and they deserve a chance to play for the national side.

"It's my goal to win the European Championships with Germany in Poland-Ukraine. I'm confident that we'll be among the candidates to win the tournament."

Friedrich made his Germany debut against Bulgaria in August 2002 and has since made over 70 appearances for the Nationalelf. He played at Euro 2004 and 2008 and also took part in the 2006 and 2010 World Cups.