Bolton Manager Owen Coyle Blasts Carlos Vela's Agent For The Collapse Of Agreed Loan Deal With Arsenal

Posted by admin on Sunday 30 January 2011


Trotters' boss explains why deal for Mexican striker fell through.
Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle has blasted Carlos Vela’s agent for the collapse of the Mexican’s loan move to the Reebok.

Vela was expected to complete a move to Bolton last week, but instead opted for a temporary switch to West Brom.

Coyle reveals that a six-month deal had been in place with Arsenal for the 21-year-old, but was trashed after Vela’s agent got involved with separate financial demands.

However, the Bolton boss stated that it was his decision whether or not to complete the move.

“It was my decision,” said Coyle, according to talkSPORT.

“We had permission from Arsenal regarding Carlos Vela. On Thursday night we agreed with Arsenal that we would pay the player's salary, we also agreed to pay a loan fee to Arsenal.

“Subsequent to that I then had a chat with Carlos Vela’s agent who informed me that there was more finances to come on top of that in terms of another fee and player appearances.

“Anyway to cut a long story short it was out of the realms of possibility. We’re very upfront, we have a fantastic relationship with Arsenal, we always have.

“We’d agreed a deal with the football club and then outside influences meant that the deal was going to be financially far too much.

“On Thursday night I said to the chairman ‘well that’s it we’ll leave that’, and I stepped away from it.

“I never spoke to the player himself so I stress there’s no fault at the player’s door or indeed Arsenal Football Club.

“It’s just it was getting far too much and I thought it was getting ridiculous and that’s why I stepped away from it.”