Atletico Madrid Keeper David De Gea: I Want To Represent Spain At World Cup 2014

Posted by admin on Tuesday 25 January 2011


Atletico Madrid stiker David de Gea is hopeful of repesenting Spain at World Cup 2014 in Brazil.
Atletico Madrid shot-stopper David de Gea has stated his intention to be included in the Spanish national team squad for World Cup 2014.

The 20-year-old has emerged as one of the highest-rated goalkeepers in European football in the past 12 months, and was selected by La Furia Roja coach Vicente del Bosque in his provisional selection for South Africa, before eventually losing out to the trio of Iker Casillas, Victor Valdes and Jose Reina.

De Gea feels however that the tournament in Brazil, where Spain will hope to defend their title, is a realistic target for him to break onto the international scence.

He remarked in an interview with FHM Madrid: “I will work to get there, The truth is that I envy them because the work they have done is incredible. I want to be at the next World Cup.”

He also declared himself flattered by interest from big clubs such as Manchester United, continuing: “Yes, it is nice, but I am very happy here, I have came through from Atletico B and it would be very difficult for me to leave.”