Utrecht Attacker Dries Mertens Not Ruling Out Summer Move To Ajax

Posted by admin on Wednesday 2 February 2011


Utrecht winger Dries Mertens has revealed that he could still join Ajax in the summer.
Highly rated attacker Dries Mertens has made it clear that he could still leave Eredivisie Utrecht for Amsterdam giants Ajax at the end of the season, but that the Godenzonen are not his only option.

The 23-year-old winger was one of the candidates to replace Luis Suarez at Ajax, but the Amsterdam side refused to meet Utrecht's hefty asking price for their star player.

"It would have been a nice reward for my performance if the transfer had gone through. We'll now have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season. Ajax is still an option, but I could also stay at Utrecht or move elsewhere," said Mertens to Voetbal International.

"The people at Utrecht know that I'm always looking to improve myself and that I want to get the maximum out of my career. They also know that Ajax would have been a step forward for me, but I never demanded a transfer to Amsterdam.

"I'm not too disappointed that the move fell through. I'm happy at Utrecht and will continue to do my utmost. This just illustrates how important I am for the team."