Chile's Marcelo Bielsa Quits As Coach

Posted by admin on Saturday 5 February 2011


The Argentine has had enough and said goodbye to Santiago.
Marcelo Bielsa has confirmed the fears of Chile fans by standing down as coach of the national team, mere months after guiding the Roja to the second round of the 2010 World Cup.

Reports last week indicated that the Argentine boss would stay on for the Copa America 2011, but by mid-afternoon the Chilean footballing world was rocked by rumours that instead Bielsa would depart due to 'incompatibility' with the new leadership at the Chile Football Federation.

This was confirmed at a brief press conference in the early evening on Friday, during which Bielsa explained that his attempts to co-operate with the new leadership on such projects as the creation of a selection committee had failed.

Bielsa said, "On Thursday I made my decision, and today I quit. I agree, and regret, that it's turned into a soap opera. But honestly, I don't feel responsible for that."

On the problems behind the scenes, he added, "Sergio Jadue (Chilean Football Federation Chief) released information to the press that wasn't true.

"I never made any demands - I just listened."