Chelsea Striker Fernando Torres: I Will Repay Roman Abramovich’s Faith In Me By Scoring Goals

Posted by admin on Monday 14 February 2011


Spaniard wants Liverpool fans to remember him fondly.
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has vowed to score a plethora of goals to repay the faith that club owner Roman Abramovich has shown in him.

The Blues bought the Spaniard from Liverpool for £50 million in January, breaking the British transfer record which was set earlier on deadline day by Andy Carroll's £35m switch to Liverpool from Newcastle United.

"As a striker I'm asked for goals so I'll pay in goals," Torres said, according to The Sun.

"I still haven't seen Roman Abramovich. To put so much money down for me speaks of his dreams to keep on making history.

"We want to repay him for this effort. I have to pay my debt on the pitch. It's beautiful he paid so much for me.

"When the season started I expected to play a lot to forget about my injuries. But Liverpool didn't start well.

"There was no light at the end of the tunnel.

"An incredible door opened for me when there was six months of fight ahead of me.

"Now I can fight for what I've always dreamt about fighting for."

The 26-year-old's image at Liverpool has taken a beating after his mid-season move to a rival club, but the striker hopes that his former admirers at Anfield will understand his choice in due course.

"People on the outside can't understand some things about football," said Torres.

"The problem was that when Xabi Alonso [joined Real Madrid] and then Javier Mascherano left [for Barcelona] I could only see a light at the end of the tunnel when Chelsea opened the door.

"It just happened that my time came to leave. In time I hope Liverpool fans understand.

"I would like to return to Liverpool and be recognised. I only have gratitude towards the people, the club and everybody in Liverpool."