Chelsea Defender David Luiz: If I Didn’t Like Physical Football I Would Play Tennis

Posted by admin on Saturday 12 February 2011


Brazilian reveals Ramires recommended move to England.
David Luiz has insisted he is not concerned with the physical nature of the Premier League and is relishing the challenge as he prepares for his first Chelsea start against Fulham on Monday.

The Brazilian made his debut for the Blues in last weekend’s defeat to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge and has admitted the game in England is vastly different to what he is used to.

"I have seen a lot of the Premier League on TV and I understand it's a lot faster and more physical than the football I was used to in Brazil and Portugal,” he told Sky Sports.

"But football is a physical game and if I didn't like that side of it I would be playing tennis!"

The 23-year-old also revealed his relief at finally making the move to London on transfer deadline day after it had appeared earlier in the week that the deal might break down

“I was concerned that everyone was leaving it until the last minute but I never lost faith I would sign for Chelsea," he added.

"I spoke to Ramires many times during the negotiations.

"We were good friends during our time together at Benfica and he always spoke very positively about Chelsea and English football.”

Chelsea head to Craven Cottage on Monday night hoping to complete a league double over their neighbours after a 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge back in November.